This week is National Etiquette Week, the national recognition of etiquette and protocol in all areas of American life- business, social, dining, travel, technology and of course, dating. We asked the matchmakers to provide some dating tips and dating etiquette advice to our blog readers. Today, Gina shares her advice.
You only get one chance to make a great first impression, so I have compiled a few things to help you out!
Tip #1 Mind Your (Table) Manners!
This seems so cliché, but the fact of the matter is that people tend to overlook just how important this is while dating.
- Keep your cell phone turned off and put away. Your attention and focus is on your date NOT on emails, texts, or phone calls. It can wait!
- Don’t talk with your mouth full, and definitely do NOT chew with your mouth open. I guarantee your date will appreciate this! Take smaller bites, and you’ll be able to keep that conversation going without skipping a beat.
Tip #2 Be Conscious of I, I, I and Me, Me, Me!
- Don’t brag! Being a show-off is not only rude, but it’s also a turn-off and just plain boring. I’m sure you are a fantastic individual with a lot to bring to a relationship, but it’s much more exciting and appealing for the other person to find that out on their own.
- Matters about money should only come up if/when the relationship advances to a more serious level.
- Do NOT dominate the conversation! If you’re doing all of the talking, how are you possibly expressing an interest in the person across the table from you? Pay attention, absorb the conversation, ask questions, and LISTEN more than you speak.
Tip #3 The Ex.
- This is never an appropriate topic of conversation for a first date. Period. As much as you may think it would make for a great story, nobody wants to hear about it, especially when you are trying to get to know someone new. This is FOR SURE a mood killer, and will also terminate any chances of getting that second date!
Our matchmaking team is working with great singles and with spring here and summer right around the corner, it’s a great time to meet someone! Plus, we take the hassle out of dating and you deserve to have some fun! For more information, email Gina or give her a call directly at 216-328-9027.